Re: Remove useless associativity/precedence from parsers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Akim Demaille <akim(at)lrde(dot)epita(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove useless associativity/precedence from parsers
Date: 2019-05-19 18:27:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Akim Demaille <akim(at)lrde(dot)epita(dot)fr> writes:
> In the following two proposed patches, I remove directives that are
> completely useless.

I'm far from convinced that the proposed changes in gram.y are a good
idea. Both [] and . (field selection) *are* left-associative in a
meaningful sense, so even if this change happens not to affect what
Bison does, I think the declarations are good documentation. Would
you have us also change the user documentation at
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-PRECEDENCE
?

I haven't looked at the jsonpath grammar closely enough to have an
opinion about that one.