Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgbench - allow to store select results into variables
Date: 2017-01-04 21:15:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr> writes:
> Indeed. Here is the rebased version, which still get through my various
> tests.

I looked through this again, and I still think that the syntactic design
of the new command is seriously misguided, leading to an ugly and
unmaintainable implementation that may well block further innovation
in pgbench. I will not commit it in this form.

Possibly you can find some other committer whom you can convince this
is a good design --- but since the patch has gone untouched for two full
commitfest cycles, I rather imagine that whoever else has looked at it
has likewise decided they didn't want to be responsible for it.

Please look at changing \into to be a SQL-command-ending backslash
command as we previously discussed. I think you will find that the
implementation is a great deal simpler that way and doesn't require
weird hackery on the shared lexer.

(BTW, said hackery is not just weird but broken. You can't simply
remove comments. Consider something like "SELECT foo/*as*/bar".
This code reduces that to "SELECT foobar" which is wrong.)

If you won't do that, and you can't find another committer who will
accept responsibility for this patch before the end of the current
commitfest, I think we should mark it Rejected.