Re: pg_upgrade failing for 200+ million Large Objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Kumar, Sachin" <ssetiya(at)amazon(dot)com>, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <jan(at)wi3ck(dot)info>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade failing for 200+ million Large Objects
Date: 2024-03-16 22:46:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
>> This patch seems to have stalled out again. In hopes of getting it
>> over the finish line, I've done a bit more work to address the two
>> loose ends I felt were probably essential to deal with:

> Applies and builds fine.
> I didn't scrutinize the code, but I gave it a spin on a database with
> 15 million (small) large objects. I tried pg_upgrade --link with and
> without the patch on a debug build with the default configuration.

Thanks for looking at it!

> Without the patch:
> Runtime: 74.5 minutes

> With the patch:
> Runtime: 70 minutes

Hm, I'd have hoped for a bit more runtime improvement. But perhaps
not --- most of the win we saw upthread was from parallelism, and
I don't think you'd get any parallelism in a pg_upgrade with all
the data in one database. (Perhaps there is more to do there later,
but I'm still not clear on how this should interact with the existing
cross-DB parallelism; so I'm content to leave that question for
another patch.)