Re: Use -fvisibility=hidden for shared libraries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use -fvisibility=hidden for shared libraries
Date: 2022-07-27 18:02:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Given that that's just about all compilers we support using configure, perhaps
>> we should just move that out of the compiler specific section? Doesn't look
>> like there's much precedent for that so far...

> Here's a potential patch along those lines.

Now that the dust from the main patch is pretty well settled, +1
for trying that.

> I wonder if we also should move the -fno-strict-aliasing, -fwrapv tests
> out. But that'd be something for later.

Those seem less likely to be portable to non-gcc-alike compilers.
On the other hand, maybe it'd be interesting to just remove the
conditionality temporarily and try ALL the switches on all compilers,
just to see what we can learn from the buildfarm.