Re: Documenting when to retry on serialization failure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documenting when to retry on serialization failure
Date: 2022-03-24 16:29:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 14:56, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Um, what's that got to do with it? The example in
>> read-write-unique-4.spec involves only a single pkey constraint.

> Yes, but as you explained, its not actually a serializable case, it
> just looks a bit like one.

> That means we are not currently aware of any case where the situation
> is serializable but the error message is uniqueness violation, unless
> we have 2 or more unique constraints and/or an exclusion constraint.

Meh. I'm disinclined to document it at that level of detail, both
because it's subject to change and because we're not sure that that
list is exhaustive. I think a bit of handwaving is preferable.
How about the attached? (Only the third new para is different.)

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
retryable_error_docs.v3.patch text/x-diff 3.8 KB