Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2022-03-24 16:33:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 17.03.22 20:11, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> But the comment describes the error for the whole block, which looks
> like this:
>
> -- error: replica identity "a" not included in the column list
> ALTER PUBLICATION testpub_fortable ADD TABLE testpub_tbl5 (b, c);
> UPDATE testpub_tbl5 SET a = 1;
> ERROR: cannot update table "testpub_tbl5"
> DETAIL: Column list used by the publication does not cover the replica
> identity.
>
> So IMHO the comment is correct.

Ok, that makes sense. I read all the comments in the test file again.
There were a couple that I think could use tweaking; see attached file.
The ones with "???" didn't make sense to me: The first one is before a
command that doesn't seem to change anything, the second one I didn't
understand the meaning. Please take a look.

(The patch is actually based on your 20220318c patch, but I'm adding it
here since we have the discussion here.)

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-fixup-Allow-specifying-column-lists-for-logical-repl.patch text/plain 2.4 KB