Re: Thread-unsafe coding in ecpg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Thread-unsafe coding in ecpg
Date: 2019-01-21 20:45:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We could just refuse to support thread safety on mingw if that's not
> supported? Or is that too aggressive?

Nah, we already had that discussion upthread. Given the lack of
prior complaints, we shouldn't break cases that are working today.

For instance, as long as setlocale() isn't actively thread-unsafe
and you are running with LC_NUMERIC=C as the prevailing locale,
the existing code doesn't pose a hazard even in a threaded app.
Forcing users for whom that's true to --disable-thread-safety
would turn an OK situation into a broken one.