Re: [HACKERS] Something for the TODO list: deprecating abstime and friends

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Something for the TODO list: deprecating abstime and friends
Date: 2018-09-29 04:40:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here's a refreshed version of this patch. First patch removes
> contrib/spi/timetravel, second patch removes abstime, reltime, tinterval
> together with timeofday().

I'd kind of like to keep timeofday(); it's the only simple way to
get a time display that includes "native" timezone info. For
instance, I get

regression=# select timeofday();
timeofday
Sat Sep 29 00:37:35.490977 2018 EDT
(1 row)

I think every other option would show me "-04" not "EDT".

+1 for removing the rest of that, though. Unless somebody is
motivated to recast contrib/spi/timetravel with timestamptz
as the datetime type?