Re: tool to migrate database

From: "Joel Jacobson" <joel(at)compiler(dot)org>
To: "isabelle Ross" <mktg(dot)ide(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tool to migrate database
Date: 2021-03-23 08:49:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021, at 22:47, isabelle Ross wrote:
>Hi,
>I'm looking for a software to migrate database between versions with minimum downtime.
>
>which one can be used to do this job ?

Hi Isabelle,

There are multiple ways to do it.
The fastest way is probably pg_upgrade.

There are some difference ways to do it depending on what requirements you have on redundancy while upgrading.

I recently read an interesting real-life story from a very big company, Adyen, and how they upgraded their 50 terrabyte PostgreSQL database. The article is from 2018 but I still think it's relevant:

https://medium.com/adyen/updating-a-50-terabyte-postgresql-database-f64384b799e7

There might be other good tools I don't know of, I'm not an expert on upgrades.
Hopefully other pghackers can fill in.

Best regards,

Joel