Re: pg_recvlogical.c doesn't build with --disable-integer-datetimes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pg_recvlogical.c doesn't build with --disable-integer-datetimes
Date: 2017-02-17 23:34:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Right now I'd rather focus on getting to where we can have -Werror on in
> the buildfarm at all. longfin says we've got work to do on that, at least
> in the back branches. It may be that we can't expect near-EOL branches to
> always compile perfectly cleanly on newer compilers.

I found that longfin's compiler is happy with 9.4 and up as-is, and it
required only a few very small and safe back-patches to make 9.3 work
too. However, it's looking like -Werror with 9.2 is a bridge too far.
The thing that seems untenable is that to make 9.2 compile clean, we would
have to back-patch commit 71450d7fd, along with a fair amount of follow-on
work, so that the compiler would understand that ereport(ERROR) doesn't
return. I don't think we want to go that far --- and maybe introduce
portability issues for someone's ancient compiler --- for a branch that's
near EOL anyway.

I'll adjust longfin's configuration so that it only applies -Werror in
9.3 and up.