pg_dump and sequences - RFC

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump and sequences - RFC
Date: 2000-09-28 09:09:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It recently came to my attention that pg_dump dumps 'CREATE SEQUENCE' and
'SELECT NEXTVAL' commands for both data-only and schema-only output. This
results in problems for users who do the two in separate steps, and seems a
little odd.

Also, I'd be interested to know what the purpose of 'SELECT NEXTVAL' is?

My inclinations is do do the following:

- Issue 'CREATE SEQUENCE...Initial Value 1...' in OID order
- Issue 'SELECT SETVAL...' at end of data load.

This means that a schema-only restore will hgave all sequences set up with
initial value = 1, and a data-only restore will have sequences set
'correctly'.

Does this sound reasonable?

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \