Re: heap_create with OID?

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: chris(at)bitmead(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: heap_create with OID?
Date: 2000-07-04 07:33:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 16:44 4/07/00 +1000, Chris Bitmead wrote:

>Would this allow you to create a tuble with a user-specified oid?

To be honest, I have no idea - like I said, I just looked at the LO code
and heap.c. But I believe it will let me create a lo with the right OID.

>However you won't be able to discover if the oid is free or not. You
>could end up with duplicate oids. Thus anybody who uses the feature
>should know what they're doing.

OK; then it needs to be done by pg_restore ONLY when a full restore is
being done. pg_dump already has a crude way of setting the max OID at the
start of a restore; all I need to do is use that process when restoring blobs.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \