Re: AW: Big projet, please help

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, "'ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr'" <ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: Big projet, please help
Date: 2000-06-08 11:15:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 11:58 8/06/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

>> The only commercial replication system that I am familiar
>> with will go both
>> ways, but not for the same table. ie.
>>

>No. Informix has update everywhere replication in the standard IDS server.
>Informix replication is configurable from sync to async repl (Laptops) with
>several options of behavior in the case of conflict (network outage ...) .

That's interesting. Out of curiosity, what choices does it provide for the
following:

a) Two inserts on a (unique) primary key

b) Two inserts on a unique index (slightly different to (a))

c) Two updates to different fields in the same record

d) Two updates to the same field in the same record

e) Deletion of a record and update of the same record

>If connection between
>the two servers is lost no update is possible.

Unfortunately this restriction removes *one* of the motivations behind
replication. It might be better to implement a queue of pending updates in
another table, where the master database applies or rejects the updates
according to rules of the application. Needless to say, the mechanics could
get pretty ugly. Hence my curiosity about the answers to the above questions.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \