Re: [GENERAL] logging stuff in the right sequence.

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>
To: Ed Loehr <ELOEHR(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: PostreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] logging stuff in the right sequence.
Date: 1999-11-24 03:44:37
Lists: pgsql-general

At 10:33 AM 23-11-1999 -0600, you wrote:
>Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to set up logging tables and need a bit of help.

I got it to work - I screwed up somewhere... ;).

>And if the 'serial' type doesn't mainatain a serial order across multiple
>clients/users, I'm in deep trouble. :)

Actually I meant "is datetime good enough?". It doesn't seem to be, that's
why I'm using a serial as well as datetime.

I tried doing
insert ...;
insert ....;
and when I do the order by datetime it can be the wrong order. Plus the
"order by" resolution only seems to be down to the second. The docs say
datetime resolution is a microsecond, but I haven't figured out how to
display stuff down to that.

When datetime matches the most recently updated record is displayed last.

So if you "order by datetime" it's fine. But if you "order by datetime
desc", you have probs.

If a record is updated it will move to the end.

>I've been using a default datetime column definition of
>
> log_when datetime default CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
>
>in other similar situations, and that seems to work as you wish (you can then
>leave it out of the INSERT statement).

Hmm what's the recommended way of doing it? Or there are and will always be
many ways of doing this (ala Perl).

I've seen 'now'::text in the FAQ

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/datatype1019.htm mentions something
like "current", but that doesn't work like 'now'::text works (or
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP).

There's one more thing I'd like in the documentation- for the data types
it'll be good to have the min/max values/sizes for all of them.

For example, it's not obvious what the maximum size a 'text' column can be.
In other places in the docs I read the max row size can be 8K (by default).
So can I assume that the max size for 'text' is limited by that?

Similar for sequence - the default max seq num is about 2^31. But no
mention of what the max "max seq num" can be. I could assume it's actually
an int4. But who knows maybe it's int8.

Cheerio,

Link