Re: [HACKERS] Phantom row from aggregate in self-join in 6.5

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Phantom row from aggregate in self-join in 6.5
Date: 1999-07-23 01:39:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 20:52 22/07/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie(at)sable(dot)ox(dot)ac(dot)uk> writes:
>> Using 6.5 (via Thomas Lockhart's Linux RPM build of Jul 2), I get a
>> phantom row when doing the following:
>> create table foo (a int);
>> select t1.a, count(*) from foo t1, foo t2 group by t1.a;
>> I get
>> a|count
>> -+-----
>> | 0
>> (1 row)
>> instead of zero rows.
>
>It's not a bug, it's a feature ... or at least there are some around
>here who claim that the behavior is OK. I think they're wrong, but
>if you want it changed you'll need to cite chapter and verse from the
>SQL92 standard, not just assert that Informix does it differently.

I've now checked Dec Rdb, SQL/Server, and MS-Access - and they return 0 rows. Add this to Informix, and one begins to wonder if there are any that match the Postgres behaviour?

Any idea where I can find a copy of the SQL92 standard on the net?

>You'll find several past discussions of this point in the pgsql-hackers
>archives, and they all seem to have ended inconclusively.

I had a quick look at discussions involving informix, but could not find anything. Can you give a little more information about the past discussions, and specifically, what the reasons for preserving this behaviour were?

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: +61-03-5367 7422 | _________ \