Index on TIMESTAMP

From: Steven Bradley <sbradley(at)llnl(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Index on TIMESTAMP
Date: 1999-07-07 18:11:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces pgsql-sql

Is there really no way to create an index on a TIMESTAMP column???? When I
try to create the index, I get the following message:

ERROR: Can't find a default operator class for type 1296.

I noticed that this problem was already posted quite some time ago, and the
only response was to use DATETIME instead. Unfortunately, we can't use
DATETIME since there is no JDBC method to accessing a DATETIME column. It
was previously suggested that the ResultSet.getTimestamp() method would
retrieve DATETIME fields, but it doesn't. Perhaps the
ResultSet.getTimestamp() method is even more broken than previously thought?

Any suggestions?

Steven Bradley
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
PO Box 808