Re: [INTERFACES] Odbc and Visual Basic

From: Sbragion Denis <infotecn(at)tin(dot)it>
To: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Odbc and Visual Basic
Date: 1998-04-27 16:22:18
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

At 08.14 27/04/98 -0400, David Hartwig wrote:
>Here is an excerpt from the soon to be published ODBC FAQ.
>
>How do I get my application to recognize primary keys?
>
>SQLPrimaryKeys() is implemented in the driver. As of the driver's
release, however,

Unfortunately VB 5.0 seems to ignore the SQLPrimaryKey() call and insists
looking for a unique index. It was the first thing I tried when I saw the
announce for the support of that call. I also know that the concept of
Primary Key is different from the concept of Unique Index (though on most
database system, including PostgreSQL, the Primary Key concept is
implemented using unique indexes), and using the SQLPrimaryKey() call would
be The Right Way To Do Things (tm), but as long as Microsoft doesn't
understand it... I don't know what would have happened if the ODBC
interface specification have come from someone else than Microsoft itself...

Thanks anyway !

Dr. Sbragion Denis
InfoTecna
Tel, Fax: +39 39 2324054