RE: [INTERFACES] SSL and ODBC

From: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] SSL and ODBC
Date: 1999-10-01 16:21:05
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

At 09:58 10/01/1999 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> > I presume that the ODBC driver uses libpq underneath
>> (either statically or
>> > dynamically loaded) to talk to the server.
>>
>> Actually, no! libpq requires a cygwin environment, and (perhaps) there
>> was a worry about performance (though that doesn't seem to be an issue
>> to me). So the ODBC driver is completely standalone. The downside is
>> that it requires separate maintenance, and I'm pretty sure that there
>> are some arcane issues which don't get fixed there when they change in
>> libpq...
>
>No, that is not correct. libpq does *not* require the cygwin environment -
>it can also be compiled as native Win32.
>However, the ODBC driver still does not use libpq, because when the ODBC
>driver was born, libpq did not exist on Win32.

Just a bit of archive history about psqlodbc from, 8/98.
David Hartwig's response to Thomas Lockhart.

[snip]
> btw, I've only just started looking at the fe/be code, but istm that it
> would be really nice if libpq-fe could fully support the WIN32 interface
> or if psqlodbc could use libpq-fe when on a Unix box. Some guy in Russia
> has a driver which uses libpq-fe and the code looks like it has the same
> lineage as Byron's code (before Byron started working on it). Where does
> this code come from? Byron's code gives credit to Christian Czezatke and
> Dan McGuirk but the "iodbc project" driver doesn't.

Don't know about the Russian dude, but the we completely rewrote the the
front-end section in the driver. We did not (and still do not) like the
way libpq consumes the entire query result into front-end memory before
returning control to the application. This make large queries slow and
sometimes impossible. However, with the patches that Bruce and Vadim are
working on for multiple ORs (many thanks) this may become a moot issue.
[endsnip]