Re: Support for %TYPE in CREATE FUNCTION

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Ian Lance Taylor <ian(at)airs(dot)com>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Support for %TYPE in CREATE FUNCTION
Date: 2001-05-30 22:56:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

At 02:22 PM 5/30/01 -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>Ah. My personal interest is not in doing a straight port from Oracle
>to Postgres and never going back. I'm sure there are people
>interested in that. Personally, I'm interested in supporting people
>who want to use either Oracle or Postgres, or both, with the same
>application.

Which is what we're doing with the OpenACS toolkit. We can (and have,
actually) stripped these out of the parameter lists but the resulting
function definitions are less clear.

Even with %TYPE we won't actually share datamodel sources, of course,
but the less that's different, the easier it is for folks to work
on the code.

http://donb.photo.net.