Re: beta testing version

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-01 01:55:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 05:15 PM 11/30/00 -0800, Nathan Myers wrote:

>As for replaying logs against a restored snapshot dump... AIUI, a
>dump records tuples by OID, but the WAL refers to TIDs. Therefore,
>the WAL won't work as a re-do log to recover your transactions
>because the TIDs of the restored tables are all different.

Actually, the dump doesn't record tuple OIDs (unless you specifically
ask for them), it just dumps source sql. When this gets reloaded
you get an equivalent database, but not the same database, that you
started out with.

That's why I've presumed you can't run the WAL against it.

If you and I are wrong I'd love to be surprised!

http://donb.photo.net.