Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-22 05:41:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

At 01:43 PM 6/22/00 +1000, Chris Bitmead wrote:

>I'm wondering if pg_dump should store the location of the tablespace. If
>your machine dies, you get a new machine to re-create the database, you
>may not want the tablespace in the same spot. And text-editing a
>gigabyte file would be extremely painful.

So you don't dump your create tablespace statements, recognizing that on
a new machine (due to upgrades or crashing) you might assign them to
different directories/mount points/whatever. That's the reason for
wanting to hide physical allocation in tablespaces ... the rest of
your datamodel doesn't need to know.

Or you do dump your tablespaces, and knowing the paths assigned
to various ones set up your new machine accordingly.

http://donb.photo.net.