Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-19 04:33:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

At 12:28 AM 6/19/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>Being *able* to use filesystem commands to see/fix what's going on is a
>good thing, particularly from a development/debugging standpoint.

Of course it's a crutch for development, but outside of development
circles few users will know how to use the OS in regard to the
database.

Assuming PG takes off. Of course, if it remains the realm of the
dedicated hard-core hacker, I'm wrong.

I have nothing against preserving the ability to use filesystem
commands if there's no significant costs inherent with this approach.
I'd view the breaking of smgr abstraction as a significant cost (though
I agree with Ross that it Bruce's proposal shouldn't require that, I
asked my question to flush Bruce out, if you will, because he's
devoted to a particular outside-the-db management model).

> But
>I agree we want to have within-the-system admin commands to do the same
>things.

MUST have, I should think.

http://donb.photo.net.