Re: Why Not MySQL?

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Malcontent null <malcontent(at)msgto(dot)com>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why Not MySQL?
Date: 2000-05-03 04:55:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At , Malcontent null wrote:

>The question dealt with trying to acieve case insensitive collation in
postgres. Specifically about possibly rewriting the text_cmp or the
varchareq functions. I am wondering what kind of mayhem that might cause. I
was told by someone who tried it that it's possible to overload the ~~
(like) operator but that dropping the = operator cripples the database so
that it's not possible to overload the = operator.

>As to why I might want to do this I'll answer that one in response to
another question :)

Actually, I'd suggest you state the problem you're trying to solve first,
rather
than present the reasons you think PG can't handle the problem without
showing your
hand. Saying, "how can I implement the following solution to an unstated
problem"
rather than simply stating the problem seems ... well, impolite at first
glance.

I'm assuming that you actually are seeking a solution, rather than starting
some sort of crusade in favor of a pet peeve?

Don't misunderstand ... you may be right, there may be no way to solve your
problem efficiently in PG. But until you tell us what you're trying to do,
we have no way to decide whether or not you've actually exhausted the
possibilities.

http://donb.photo.net.