Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] Proposed Changes to PostgreSQL

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Chris <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>
Cc: Marten Feldtmann <marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [SQL] Proposed Changes to PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-02-05 02:03:57
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

At 12:41 PM 2/5/00 +1100, Chris wrote:
>Don Baccus wrote:
>
>> Without prejudice, I'd be interested in some order-of-magnitude
>> market share for these technologies vs., say, Oracle.
>
>Would you be interested in the market share of Win98 compared to Linux?

Postgres isn't in competition with either of those software products. It
is probably worth pointing out that at least some of the folks in the Linux
community would like to derail Win98 to some degree.

And I, at least, would love to see Postgres derail Oracle to some degree.

>> There's no doubt of this, for applications that can > make use of the
paradigms.

>To my mind that is like saying OO is useful for programs that can make
>use of the paradigms. In fact I think nearly all programs can make use
>of OO.

This really isn't the place for a religious fight. Personally, I believe
the OO paradigm is well-suited to the decomposition of some problems, not
particularly well-suited to others. I've only been a professional software
engineer for 29 years, though, so I don't pretend to have all the answers.
I'd humbly suggest that OO methodologists don't, either.

But, that's just my opinion.

Far more important to me is that SQL queries not suffer performance hits
as a result of whatever changes to OO support make it into the standard
version of PG.

Let's just leave it at that, OK?

http://donb.photo.net.