Re: [HACKERS] Ars Digita and PostgreSQL

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Ars Digita and PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-01-27 16:23:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

At 04:41 PM 1/27/00 +1100, Chris Bitmead wrote:

>I saw someone mention here about porting Ars Digita to PostgreSQL. Can
>they elaborate on this? Is there a web page? When it's done will all
>versions of Ars Digita work with postgres? How advanced? How long to go?

Check out http://dsl-dhogaza.pacifier.net:2000 for a snapshot of the
work-in-progress. Feel free to poke around and play. Much of it is
there.

That's my box, it will be moving to a larger box over the next
few weeks, enough funding for that popped up, apparently.

That version is based on ACS 2.4, mostly ported by me. Ben Adida
(an early arsDigita employee now on his own), me and a few others
plan to move what we've got to ACS3 over the next few days.

We also will be moving to the open source version of AOLserver,
which is now in beta (they're using a postgres-like definition
of beta, it appears to be very stable).

We really need some of the upcoming V7.0 features, like "group
by" that doesn't always return a row, avg(numeric), and other
bug fixes. We'll love having referential integrity, too. And
>8KB query returns will be great, means we can define all text
columns as "text" and not worry about selects dying if we select
more than one column. We're REALLY eager for TOAST and outer
joins :)

So, target is:

Linux RH6.1
AOLserver 3.0b beta
PG V7.0 beta
ACS 3.1

By mid-February.

We've been using sourceforge but they're quickly getting overloaded,
bogged down, and maybe just a teensy bit flaky. We plan to move to
start using the software management features of the ACS + CVS + other
stuff (later to be moved to the ACS) and move to our own box as soon
as we get things up and running.

I've manhandled the AOLserver postgres driver, too, and it's now
considerably more robust. It will be distributed with whatever
comes after AOLserver 3.0b beta.

http://donb.photo.net.