Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping
Date: 2000-01-25 15:53:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 11:41 AM 1/25/00 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Don Baccus wrote:
>
>> Dropping constraints on a table just because you drop a column is
>> just butt-ugly.
>
>Hey, nobody said that this was the final version. Keeping the constraints
>was a trivial step from what there was. I guess the lesson I learned was
>that around here you Release Late, Release Rarely, and that's fine, but I
>didn't know that. Sorry. -> next time ;)

Yes, I've thought about this and as I mentioned in another note a few
minutes ago, realize now that you believed that to be the release model.

I now understand why you were willing to dump a change like this into
the sources a few days before a planned beta release. Perfectly
reasonable under the more agressive release early, release often
model.

I'll back off now.

http://donb.photo.net.