Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ADMIN] When postgres will be faster?

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: sk(dot)list(at)comset(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Marcin Mazurek - Multinet SA - Poznan <m(dot)mazurek(at)multinet(dot)pl>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [ADMIN] When postgres will be faster?
Date: 1999-11-30 17:21:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 11:44 AM 11/30/99 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
>Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> I suggest postgres experts comment this topic. We really need to work
>> with different databases using one connection. Postgres is rather good
>> scalable DB engine and IMO it's worth to have such feature like
>> DB pooling. Once postgres support db pooling it would be possible
>
>The AOLserver webserver/application server already fully supports pooled
>database connections to PostgreSQL.
>
>AOLserver is fully multithreaded, and allows a configurable number of
>database connections to be persistently pooled. There can be multiple
>pools available, each connecting to a single database. AOLserver
>dynamically manages the pools, with maximum number of pools and pool
>persistence timeout configurable.
>
>This allows many thousands of http connections to share a limited number
>of database connections, thanks to AOLserver's multithreaded front end.

And there's a great toolset from Ars Digita that runs under AOLserver.

I've ported part of it to Postgres. You can see one of the modules
in action, a bulletin board module, at http://dsl-dhogaza.pacifier.net/bboard

Unfortunately, portions of the Ars Digita toolkit use outer joins fairly
heavily. I was somewhat saddened to hear that outer joins apparently
won't make it into V7 after all, because I was planning to port the
entire toolkit when V7 made its debut. I still may do so, because
you can mechanically translate the queries to not be dependent on
outer joins, but it makes doing a port a heck of a lot more tedious.

The Ars Digita toolkit contains, among other things, a very robust
e-commerce module which is in use at some large, Oracle-based web
sites. It would be cool to make this available for Postgres...

(The toolkit's GPL'd, BTW)

http://donb.photo.net.