Re: [INTERFACES] firewall crashes backend

From: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] firewall crashes backend
Date: 1999-09-08 22:39:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

At 18:09 09/08/1999 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>"Ken J. Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com> writes:
>> When connecting to postgresql 6.5.1 through a socks5 firewall via ODBC, the
>> following error occurs:
>
>> ERROR: postmaster: StreamConnection: accept: No route to host
>
>> Then the backend crashes.
>
>I think you mean the postmaster crashes?

Yes I did mean postmaster, however you just gave me absolute definition
between the postmaster & a backend postgres ;-)

>> Although the firewall is probably causing the routing trouble, it seems a
>> bit extreme for the backend to crash!
>
>I agree. This looks like a context problem: the StreamConnection
>routine is calling elog() to report the error --- but elog expects
>to be inside a running backend, not the postmaster process. Trying
>to send to the client is no good, and trying to longjmp back to the
>backend execution loop is even less good :-(
>
>StreamConnection should probably just use perror to report the error
>on stderr. There's no hope of telling the client about it...

Tom, this raises a question. I never really know whether reporting these
errors via the interfaces list is adequate to get the fix in a future
snapshot or full release. Should I submit an official bug report, or is
this good enough to enter the pipeline? And how might I get confirmation on
a fix. I don't follow the cvs, but probably there is a change log there?
Even the listed changes/fixes for the full/patch releases are a bit terse
and sometimes difficult to know if the listed fixes have cured a problem.

Ken