Re: [HACKERS] BSD vs. GPL

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Clark Evans <clark(dot)evans(at)manhattanproject(dot)com>, Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman-pgsql(dot)hackers(at)debian(dot)org>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] BSD vs. GPL
Date: 1999-06-21 03:50:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 10:14 PM 6/20/99 -0400, Clark Evans wrote:

>However, RedHat's business is NOT distribution, it is
>standardization.

Thank God and I deleted the rest, thank you.

> And this allows them to spend money
>on open source _if_ it is in their best interest.

Wow, a tautology! I've heard these are really hard
to prove correct.

> I would
>argue that it is in their best interest now, but it
>won't be in a few years after they have a fimly
>established monopoly.

>Thus, your exceptions point to a deeper problem with
>open source, rather than positive support for it.

The deeper problem being that open source MIGHT become
as tied to one vendor as closed source, if I read your
argument correctly.

Well, let's imagine for a moment that I concede that
point...

There's still a difference...you still get the source.

I've got candles for sale if you need some to burn at
your Open Source Means Everyone Works For Free Always
shrine.

Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net