Re: Better Upgrades

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Better Upgrades
Date: 2018-02-06 01:51:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 02/05/2018 04:09 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> Does this seem worth coding up in its current form?

No. The pg_upgrade utility is awesome and I have commended Bruce on
multiple occasions about his work with it. That being said, the
"solution" is to support in-place upgrades and our work should be toward
that. The idea that we can support and upgrade to the catalog plus
backward and forward support for changes to the page files (upgrade the
page files as they are accessed/written to) is a much longer, more
mature and reasonable approach to this problem[1].

JD

1. Props to Theo for bringing this up about a decade ago.

> Best,
> David.

PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****