Re: move collation import to backend

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: move collation import to backend
Date: 2017-01-10 03:04:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 18-12-2016 18:30, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Updated patch with that fix.

Peter, I reviewed and improved your patch.

* I document the new function. Since collation is a database object, I
chose "Database Object Management Functions" section.
* I've added a check to any-encoding database because I got 'FATAL:
collation "C" already exists' on Debian 8, although, I didn't get on
CentOS 7. The problem is that Debian has two locales for C (C and
C.UTF-8) and CentOS has just one (C).
* I've added OidIsValid to test the new collation row.
* I've changed the parameter order. Schema seems more important than
if_not_exists. Also, we generally leave those boolean parameters for the
end of list. I don't turn if_not_exists optional but IMO it would be a
good idea (default = true).
* You removed some #if and #ifdef while moving things around. I put it back.
* You didn't pgident some lines of code but I'm sure you didn't for a
small patch footprint.
* I didn't test on Windows.
* As a last comment, you set cost = 100 and it seems reasonable because
it lasts 411 ms to scan/load 923 collations in my slow VM. However,
successive executions takes ~1200 ms.

I'm attaching the complete and also a patch at the top of your last patch.

--
Euler Taveira Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/

Attachment Content-Type Size
collation-import-fixes.diff text/x-patch 5.0 KB
collation-import-complete.diff text/x-patch 15.6 KB