Re: inheritance, and plans

From: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: inheritance, and plans
Date: 2009-02-08 19:37:33
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> It's possible that there are specific cases where the UNION optimization
> checks could allow domains to be treated as their base types, but
> blindly smashing both sides of the check to base is going to break more
> cases than it fixes.

What my little patch was trying to proof, is whether, that part of
planner could construct the plan better, if it had a notion of base
type in domains.
Which I still believe it should do, based on my simple test.

Again, I am not saying, that postgresql should treat domains just as
an alias to base type, but I do believe that it should at least
construct plan better - based on the base type, not the domain's oid.

If you know what it might possibly break, can you give some examples please ?

--
GJ