Re: lack of consequence with domains and types

From: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lack of consequence with domains and types
Date: 2008-12-26 20:57:04
Lists: pgsql-general

another glance at source code, and docs tells me - that there's not
such thing as default value for custom type - unless that type is
defined as new base scalar type. So probably, that would require
postgresql to allow users to define default values for composite types
as well, like that:
create type foo AS
(
a int default 1,
b foodomain default 'foo',
);

Going through source code, I have no idea where that would go -
because I got only experience in creating types + custom indices, not
hacking postgresql guts. More help required here, please ..

(I don't know, should that go to -hackers [too]. My recent history
there probably makes majority of folks to ignore my posts straight
away).

Thanks.