temporary memory configuration

From: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgSQL - General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: temporary memory configuration
Date: 2008-11-05 15:09:46
Lists: pgsql-general

hey folks,

so suppose I have a query that in explain analyze
Sort Method: external merge Disk: 218080kB

What param should I set to high up, to end up with that sort in memory, and
also - will that memory will always be allocated per connection, (I am bit
worried that having say 320MB of temporary memory space per connection will
reduce number of possible connections). The query is not run quite often,
but it would be nice to see it running faster, as it is a report type of
query - and these ppl are usualy very unpatient. Currently it runs around
1-2 minutes with 1-6M rows to process join etc across 2-3 tables.

--
GJ