Re: Why format() adds double quote?

From: "Daniel Verite" <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
To: "Tatsuo Ishii" <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net,robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com,pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why format() adds double quote?
Date: 2016-01-26 20:00:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> IMO, it's a bug or at least an inconsistency

Personally I don't see this change being good for everything.

Let's play devil's advocate:

create table abc(U&"foo\2003" int);

U+2003 is 'EM SPACE', in Unicode's General Punctuation block.

With the current version, format('%I', attname) on this column is:
"foo "

With the patched version, it produces this:
foo

So the visual hint that there are more characters at the end is lost.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite