Re: Count and Results together

From: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
To: "Jan Sunavec" <jan(dot)sunavec(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Count and Results together
Date: 2005-05-18 15:37:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On May 18, 2005, at 3:07 AM, Jan Sunavec wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is possible use SELECT NUM_ROWS, a, b, c FROM blabla WHERE x =id; I
> mean it's much more faster than
>

> SELECT a, b, c FROM blabla WHERE x =id; and then
> SELECT count(*) FROM blabla WHERE x =id;

Can you do this on the client side? What client/interface are you
using?

There is a nice archive of the postgres mailing lists here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/

A quick search for ranks (not exactly what you want, but I think it has
a useable solution in one of the posts) gets:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-05/msg00157.php