Re: Extracting cross-version-upgrade knowledge from buildfarm client

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, pgbf(at)twiska(dot)com
Subject: Re: Extracting cross-version-upgrade knowledge from buildfarm client
Date: 2023-01-18 12:36:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-01-17 Tu 11:30, Tom Lane wrote:
>> FYI crake has just passed the test with flying colours.
> Cool. I await the Windows machines' results with interest.

fairwren and drongo are clean except for fairywren upgrading 9.6 to 11.
This appears to be a longstanding issue that the fuzz processing was
causing us to ignore. See for example
<https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=fairywren&dt=2022-09-01%2018%3A27%3A28&stg=xversion-upgrade-REL_10_STABLE-REL_11_STABLE>

It's somewhat interesting that this doesn't appear to be an issue with
the MSVC builds on drongo. And it disappears when upgrading to release
12 or later where we use the extra-float-digits=0 hack.

I propose to add this to just the release 11 AdjustUpgrade.pm:

    # float4 values in this table on Msys can have precision differences
    # in representation between old and new versions
    if ($old_version < 10 && $dbnames{contrib_regression_btree_gist} &&
        $^O eq 'msys')
    {
        _add_st($result, 'contrib_regression_btree_gist',
                'drop table if exists float4tmp');
    }

cheers

andrew