Re: Maintaining cluster order on insert

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Jaime Casanova" <systemguards(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maintaining cluster order on insert
Date: 2007-05-21 09:32:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On 5/21/07, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 5/19/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com > wrote:
> >

> > Ah, sorry about that. For some reason my source tree was checked out
> > from the 8.2 branch, instead of CVS HEAD.
> >

> I looked at the patch. Not that I am very comfortable with this part
> of the code, but nevertheless here are my comments:

Another problem that I noticed with the patch is that it disregards
the fillfactor while inserting the tuples. ISTM that this is a correct
behavior when a tuple is being inserted in the block to preserve cluster
ordering. But when the tuple is being inserted as a normal operation,
IMO we should respect the fillfactor.

The easiest way to reproduce this is to insert tuples sorted on the
cluster index key.

Thanks,
Pavan