Re: Working with PostgreSQL source tree (was Re: Not ready for 8.3)

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Working with PostgreSQL source tree (was Re: Not ready for 8.3)
Date: 2007-05-18 10:02:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/18/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> When I start working on a subject, I make a new checkout from the local
> repository to a designated directory under "pg_sandbox"-directory. For
> example, when I started working on the mvcc-safe cluster patch:
>
> ~/pg_sandbox$ cvs -d /home/hlinnaka/pgcvsrepository cvs co pgsql
> ~/pg_sandbox$ mv pgsql pgsql.cluster

You can use cvs co -d pgsql.cluster to save the above step.

~/pg_sandbox$ cd pgsql.cluster
> ~/pg_sandbox/pgsql.cluster$ cvs update -dP # Remove empty dirs.
> There's a checkout-flag for that as well, but I never remember it...
> ~/pg_sandbox/pgsql.cluster$ ./configure --enable-depend --enable-cassert
> --enable-debug --prefix=/home/hlinnaka/pgsql.cluster

I find configuring with CFLAGS="-g -O0" more useful.

For primitive version control, I make a diff after any significant changes:

> ~/pg_sandbox/pgsql.cluster$ cvs diff -cN > cluster-mvcc-1.patch

I usually commit each version and tag the tree. That helps me to get
diff between two versions as well.

Thanks,
Pavan

--