Re: Piggybacking vacuum I/O

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Piggybacking vacuum I/O
Date: 2007-01-26 18:44:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/26/07, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> I think what he's suggesting is deliberately not updating the hint bits
> during a SELECT ...

No, I was suggesting doing it in bgwriter so that we may not need to that
during
a SELECT. Of course, we need to investigate more and have numbers to prove
the need. Also you have already expressed concerns that doing so in bgwriter
is deadlock
prone. So there is certainly more work needed for any such scheme to work.

Thanks,
Pavan