Re: Requiring recovery.signal or standby.signal when recovering with a backup_label

From: David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Requiring recovery.signal or standby.signal when recovering with a backup_label
Date: 2023-07-14 20:32:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I believe before users can make a backup using pg_basebackup and then
start the backup as an independent Primary server for whatever reasons.
Now, if this is still allowed, then users need to be aware that the
backup_label must be manually deleted, otherwise, the backup won't be
able to start as a Primary.

The current message below doesn't provide such a hint.

+ if (!ArchiveRecoveryRequested)
+ ereport(FATAL,
+ (errmsg("could not find recovery.signal or standby.signal when recovering with backup_label"),
+ errhint("If you are restoring from a backup, touch \"%s/recovery.signal\" or \"%s/standby.signal\" and add required recovery options.",
+ DataDir, DataDir)));

On 2023-03-12 6:06 p.m., Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 03:59:04PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> My apologies for the long message, but this deserves some attention,
>> IMHO.
> Note: A CF entry has been added as of [1], and I have added an item in
> the list of live issues on the open item page for 16.
>
> [1]:https://commitfest.postgresql.org/43/4244/
> [2]:https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_16_Open_Items#Live_issues
> --
> Michael