Re: Allow escape in application_name (was: [postgres_fdw] add local pid to fallback_application_name)

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Allow escape in application_name (was: [postgres_fdw] add local pid to fallback_application_name)
Date: 2021-09-02 12:36:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021/09/02 18:27, kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com wrote:
> I added the following comments:
>
> ```diff
> - /* Use "postgres_fdw" as fallback_application_name. */
> + /*
> + * Use pgfdw_application_name as application_name.
> + *
> + * Note that this check must be behind constructing generic options
> + * because pgfdw_application_name has higher priority.
> + */
> ```

Thanks! What about updating the comments furthermore as follows?

---------------------------------
Use pgfdw_application_name as application_name if set.

PQconnectdbParams() processes the parameter arrays from start to end.
If any key word is repeated, the last value is used. Therefore note that
pgfdw_application_name must be added to the arrays after options of
ForeignServer are, so that it can override application_name set in
ForeignServer.
---------------------------------

> Attached is the fixed version. 0002 will be rebased later.

Thanks for updating the patch!

+ }
+ /* Use "postgres_fdw" as fallback_application_name */

It's better to add new empty line between these two lines.

+-- Disconnect once because the value is used only when establishing connections
+DO $$
+ BEGIN
+ PERFORM postgres_fdw_disconnect_all();
+ END
+$$;

Why does DO command need to be used here to execute
postgres_fdw_disconnect_all()? Instead, we can just execute
"SELECT 1 FROM postgres_fdw_disconnect_all();"?

For test coverage, it's better to test at least the following three cases?

(1) appname is set in neither GUC nor foreign server
-> "postgres_fdw" set in fallback_application_name is used
(2) appname is set in foreign server, but not in GUC
-> appname in foreign server is used
(3) appname is set both in GUC and foreign server
-> appname in GUC is used

+SELECT FROM ft1 LIMIT 1;

"1" should be added just after SELECT in the above statement?
Because postgres_fdw regression test basically uses "SELECT 1 FROM ..."
in other places.

+ DefineCustomStringVariable("postgres_fdw.application_name",
+ "Sets the application name. This is used when connects to the remote server.",

What about simplifying this description as follows?

Sets the application name to be used on the remote server.

+ <title> Configuration Parameters </title>
+ <variablelist>

The empty characters just after <title> and before </title> should be removed?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center