Re: index prefetching

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <knizhnik(at)garret(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: index prefetching
Date: 2024-01-19 22:14:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 1/19/24 16:19, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

>>> I tend to agree with you - it is hard to imagine index implementation
>>> which doesn't win from prefetching heap pages.
>>> May be only the filtering case you have mentioned. But it seems to me
>>> that current B-Tree index scan (not IOS) implementation in Postgres
>>> doesn't try to use index tuple to check extra condition - it will fetch
>>> heap tuple in any case.
>>>
>> That's true, but that's why I started working on this:
>>
>> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/46/4352/
>>
>> I need to think about how to combine that with the prefetching. The good
>> thing is that both changes require fetching TIDs, not slots. I think the
>> condition can be simply added to the prefetch callback.
>>

>> regards
>>
> Looks like I was not true, even if it is not index-only scan but index
> condition involves only index attributes, then heap is not accessed
> until we find tuple satisfying search condition.
> Inclusive index case described above
> (https://commitfest.postgresql.org/46/4352/) is interesting but IMHO
> exotic case. If keys are actually used in search, then why not to create
> normal compound index instead?

Not sure I follow ...

Firstly, I'm not convinced the example addressed by that other patch is
that exotic. IMHO it's quite possible it's actually quite common, but
the users do no realize the possible gains.

Also, there are reasons to not want very wide indexes - it has overhead
associated with maintenance, disk space, etc. I think it's perfectly
rational to design indexes in a way eliminates most heap fetches
necessary to evaluate conditions, but does not guarantee IOS (so the
last heap fetch is still needed).

What do you mean by "create normal compound index"? The patch addresses
a limitation that not every condition can be translated into a proper
scan key. Even if we improve this, there will always be such conditions.
The the IOS can evaluate them on index tuple, the regular index scan
can't do that (currently).

Can you share an example demonstrating the alternative approach?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company