information_schema.referential_constraints permissions

From: "Lodewijk Voege" <lvoege(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: information_schema.referential_constraints permissions
Date: 2008-04-28 21:47:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

hello,

I have some code that gets foreign key information from
information_schema.referential_constraints. I was puzzled about why it wasn't
returning anything for a while, until I read the information_schema.sql file
and the documentation carefully: it has a pg_has_role(c.relowner, 'USAGE') in
it and the documentation states "The view referential_constraints contains all
referential integrity (foreign key) constraints in the current database that
belong to a table owned by a currently enabled role".

Fair enough. But then I read the public draft of SQL 2003 and 200n on this
view, and it speaks only of "tables in this catalog that are accessible to a
given user or role", rather than ownership. the user I was working with most
definately had access. it could also read the pg_* system catalog, such that
if I copy/paste the view definition without the pg_has_role() line in it (and
massage it a bit to remove the CASTs to sql_identifier and character_data)
that user got just what I was expecting.

so, is that restriction correct?

Lodewijk