Re: Recommended RAID for Postgres

From: "Mikko Partio" <mpartio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Bräutigam <thomas(dot)braeutigam(at)nexustelecom(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recommended RAID for Postgres
Date: 2008-07-07 08:28:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:30 PM, Thomas Bräutigam <
thomas(dot)braeutigam(at)nexustelecom(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a pretty huge Postgres DB, about 1,3 to 1,5 Terra. What do you guys
> recommend on RAID Levels for this Database. Which does Postgres recommend,
> and with which do Postgres run very good or in the best way?

We are running one ~2 TB database, mainly read-only stuff except for at
batch import process every night. We are using RAID5 (RAID10 would require
too many hard disk drives).

> What Backup Strategy do you think would be the best. Dump the DB once a
> week or work with the WAL`s? For your info, the data which is feeded to the
> database is available and could be feeded again but it would maybe take a
> couple of days. So what would be a solution to bring up the huge DB in about
> one day after a crash. This would be the target.

I'd say that backup (using filesystem tools) the database once a week or
fortnight and archive wals everyday. That's what we are doing and it's been
working just fine.

Regards

Mikko