Re: Connecting via postgresql jdbc

From: "Damian Carey" <jamianb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting via postgresql jdbc
Date: 2008-12-12 02:52:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> I have not been able to connect to postgresql via postgresql jdbc. The problem is not with postgresql jdbc because tcpdump on the postgresql host shows that the connection is getting through.
>
> The message I get from the java app is that the connection is refused. The username passed by DriverManager.getConnection works from psql on the postgresql host. I'm sure I know the password for this user and tried using a null string for the password too with the same result.
>
> I'm running the java app on windows xp pro connecting to postgresql 8.3.5 on centos 4.7 via postgresql-8.3-604.jdbc4 on an private network. The hosts files are configured correctly. The postgresql.conf file has listen_addresses = '*'. Pg_hba.conf IPv4 local connections is:
> host all all 192.168.1.0/24 MD5
> TIA,
> Bruce Hyatt

Bruce, All I will guarantee that I am more of a Postgres novice than
you, so try my response as you will :-))
We Java desktop apps on using JDBC through to Postgres all on Windows.

It sounds to me like a firewall issue. I suspect that the firewalls
(I guess there is one on each machine) are letting the TCP get from
the Client to the Server, but not allowing a response from Server
back to Client. Another Microsoftism is that the Windows firewall may
still be on (in series) with your installed firewall also on.

Ensure you are monitoring the TCP (using SmartSniff or whatever) at
BOTH ends. Your Server end may be OK.

Just a guess.
Cheers,
-Damian