Re: Logical Replication WIP

From: Euler Taveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Steve Singer <steve(at)ssinger(dot)info>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Logical Replication WIP
Date: 2017-01-15 19:20:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 15-01-2017 15:13, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> I am not quite sure I agree with this. Either it's system object and we
> don't replicate it (which I would have considered to be anything with
> Oid < FirstNormalObjectId) or it's user made and then it should be
> replicated. Filtering by schema name is IMHO way too fragile (what stops
> user creating additional tables there for example).

What happens if you replicate information_schema tables? AFAICS, those
tables are already in the subscriber database. And will it generate
error or warning? (I'm not sure how this functionality deals with
schemas.) Also, why do I want to replicate a information schema table?
Their contents are static and, by default, it is already in each database.

Information schema isn't a catalog but I think it is good to exclude it
from FOR ALL TABLES clause because the use case is almost zero. Of
course, it should be documented. Also, if someone wants to replicate an
information schema table, it could do it with ALTER PUBLICATION.

--
Euler Taveira Timbira - http://www.timbira.com.br/