pdf versus single-html

From: Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pdf versus single-html
Date: 2017-01-21 11:29:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

With the pdf increasingly in readability-decline (more and more text
parts fall off the (right) side of the page and quite a few tables
contain unreable bits) I would like to have a single page html. (cf the
bash scipting guide at http://tldp.org/guides.html even if that is
smaller than our html (2.3 MB vs 12 MB))

Simple concatenation is trivial but to keep the texts in the correct
order, and to keep the links working is a bit more complicated.

Ideally I'd like a single file with chapter-headings either at the top
or even (gulp) in a left-hand frame.

The goal is to make the text directly searchable, like one can do in the
pdf.

It might even be good to include such a single-file html in the Makefile
as an option.

I'll give it a try but has anyone done this work already, perhaps?

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers