Re: speakers mailing list

From: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-11-09 20:29:02
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> Selena, Dave,
>
>> * Post to -announce
>> * Get on the events list (if it is a Postgres specific event)
>> * Get their CFPs into PWN
>> * Post to -general or -hackers depending on the type of speakers
>> they're looking for
>> * Get a blogger that's on Planet to post the CFP
>
> This works for CFPs.  What it doesn't work for is "I'm running a Django
> 1-day event in St. Louis, we were wondering if you could help us find a
> PostgreSQL speaker".  It's not clear where those folks should go except
> -advocacy, and of course they don't want to *subscribe* to adovocacy.
> So they e-mail me or Bruce or someone personally, and often the requests
> get lost.
>
> That's the problem I'm trying to solve.

Ah, I see. So, I interpret that as you guys asking for a little help
in responding to the requests :)

I think the right thing to do is ask people to post to -advocacy if
the requests are that specific.

Could we make a web form that is allowed to post to -advocacy for
requests of this type? Also, I'd be happy to help moderate -advocacy
so that we could open it up to external posting.

> Also, our current policy is not to allow postings to =announce unless
> the event has "significant PostgreSQL content".  This would rule out,
> for example, PHPcon posting a CFP.

I think calls for papers for PostgreSQL advocacy are a reasonable
exception to this rule, but I'm sure opinions differ. :)

As our community grows, our need for contact with "the outside world"
is just going to increase. And the more we're able to publicise where
Postgres speakers are giving talks (like Magnus is speaking at FCONS

> I'd like a better way than a wiki page to get the word out.  Our wiki
> has about zero google rank, so nobody looks at it unless they're already
> "in the know".

Agreed, however it would be good to use a collaborative medium to work
out good ways of doing this stuff. And then move it to something with
more Google juice.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me