Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output

From: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)codelibre(dot)net>, "Brad T(dot) Sliger" <bsliger(at)sliger(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Roger Leigh <rleigh(at)debian(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unicode UTF-8 table formatting for psql text output
Date: 2009-09-18 18:30:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!

Below is from Brad Slinger. I'm just forwarding his message so that
the review will be in the thread for the archives. (Sorry, Brad that I
missed this earlier.. I thought you'd already replied to the list for
some reason.)

Brad says:

Please forgive my top posting. Below is my patch review.

The purpose of this patch is to improve psql output
readability. This is accomplished through table formatting
improvements and line art improvements.

The patch is a unified diff, rather than a context diff. The
patch applies from the project root with with -p1 set. Patch(1)
reports "with fuzz 1" when patching src/bin/psql/print.h. The patch
touches two files:

src/bin/psql/print.h
src/bin/psql/print.c

The patch does not include any documentation or tests.
Comments and style are similar to existing code.

The patched code compiles without any additional warnings.
Lint gripes about a trailing ',' in 'typedef enum printTextRule' in
print.h. Other additional lint seem to be false positives. The
regression tests pass against the new patch.

The patched code installs and runs. There were no crashes,
although I didn't try very hard. The ASCII line art works:

createdb test
psql test
\pset border 2
\pset format wrapped
SELECT 'short' AS short, lpad('', 1000, 'long') AS long;

I can trigger the new line art by setting LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 in
the environment.

As far as I can tell, the patch works as advertised. The patch
does not change the server/backend. I don't see any performance
problems.

Thanks,

--bts

--